What is the Courtesy Light Bulb all about?
The courtesy light is meant to be a convenience feature that provides lighting inside your vehicle when it is dark outside. The courtesy light, or dome light assembly, is usually a plastic housing mounted in the headliner and contains one or more bulbs that can be illuminated by opening the door or by pressing a button or switch on the housing. The bulb inside has an electrical current that runs through it when the switch is in the ‘on’ position, which makes the filament inside the bulb glow white hot. Light is produced from this heat which illuminates the interior of your car. When the light bulb burns out, the filament has typically burned through at some point and can no longer transmit an electrical current through it to produce light. If the filament is damaged from heat but not burnt through, it might still glow but not a brightly as it used to.
Keep in mind:
- Use only the wattage required by the automaker to replace your burned out courtesy light bulb.
- A higher wattage can cause melting or wiring damage to the courtesy light housing.
- Bulbs get extremely hot. Do not touch the dome light bulb while it is illuminated.
How it’s done:
- The courtesy light bulb is verified that it needs to be replaced. The light bulb cover is removed using a small screw driver.
- The defective courtesy light bulb is removed by pulling it free from the socket or rotating a quarter turn left depending on bulb and socket type.
- The new courtesy light bulb is installed into the socket then the cover is reinstalled.
- The courtesy light bulb is tested for operation with the light switch and the door.
- The vehicle is tested for proper operation to ensure that the interior lights turn on and off normally.
Have one of our expert technicians replace your courtesy light bulb if it burns out, as bulbs are prone to do regularly.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Courtesy Light Bulb?
- Courtesy light will not illuminate.
- Courtesy light bulb glows dimly.
How important is this service?
The dome light is a convenient feature in your vehicle but it is not detrimental if the light doesn’t work. Have the courtesy light bulb replaced at your convenience.