What is the Oil Temperature Sensor all about?
Engine oil is needed to lubricate the inner workings of your engine and prevent damage from friction. It works alongside the coolant that circulates in and around the engine to cool it. However, engine oil temperature must be strictly controlled. If the temperature crosses a threshold, engine damage can result.
The oil temperature sensor’s job is to monitor oil temp and communicate the information with the car’s computer. In some models, the oil temp is actually displayed in the dash, but many newer models only display engine coolant temperature. The oil temperature sensor works in tandem with the water temperature sensor and other temperature monitors to ensure that the temperature remains within an acceptable range.
Like all other sensors, the OTS is subject to high heat on a regular basis, which can damage the wiring harness. If the oil temperature sensor fails, the oil temperature will read incorrectly or not at all.
Keep in mind:
- Not all vehicles have an oil temperature display.
- The oil temperature sensor is not inspected during any maintenance, and will only be checked if a malfunction is suspected.
- Damage can occur due to many reasons, including corrosion, wiring damage, sensor failure and more.
How it’s done:
- The vehicle is lifted and supported on jack stands and lower engine covers removed for access
- The defective oil temperature sensor is removed
- The new oil temperature sensor is installed
- The vehicle is removed from jack stands
- The vehicle is started and checked for oil temperature sensor operation
Monitoring the temperature of your engine during operation is essential. If the temperature rises to a critical level, the oil will damage the engine. With a functional oil temperature sensor, you will be able to monitor operating conditions and turn off the engine if necessary. Have the sensor inspected by our expert mechanics if you suspect that it is malfunctioning.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Oil Temperature Sensor?
- Oil temperature gauge does not work
- Oil temperature gauge works erratically or reads incorrectly
How important is this service?
Without access to accurate information about the oil temperature in your engine, the situation can become critical. If you believe there is a problem with the oil temperature sensor in your car, have the problem diagnosed by our experienced mechanics immediately.