What are the Air Shocks all about?
Air shocks are an interesting, newer innovation in the automotive industry designed to provide better handling and performance than what conventional gas struts and springs can provide. They’re slightly different from air spring systems, but they work on the same basic principle.
Air shocks look a little bit like air springs and a little bit like shocks, particularly the style installed on the rear of a vehicle. Essentially, the coil-over spring has been completely replaced by an inflatable material. These are connected to an onboard compressor and several sensors that allow you to tune your performance and ride height to meet your specific needs very quickly.
Air shocks do suffer from some of the same problems that other types of air suspensions do – that is, the air bags will eventually degrade and then begin to leak. While they tend to last a little longer than gas shocks, air shocks will need to be replaced eventually.
Keep in mind:
- Air shocks can and should be checked during regular maintenance.
- Air shocks may be factory-installed, or as aftermarket equipment.
How it’s done:
- The air shock is verified to see if it needs to be replaced
- The defective air shock is removed
- The new air shock is installed
- The air shocks are tested for operation
- The vehicle is tested to ensure proper operation of the air suspension system
Your suspension is a crucial component of the vehicle, and is responsible not only for ride quality and comfort, but also for handling on the road. If your air shocks have begun to leak, have them replaced by one of our expert mechanics as soon as possible.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Air Shocks?
- Sagging ride
- Compressor runs more often than normal
- Noticeable difference in handling quality
How important is this service?
Your suspension impacts everything from the ride height of your vehicle to how well it handles around corners. Leaking or broken air shocks can cause handling concerns that may lead to an accident. Have leaking or worn air shocks replaced as soon as you can.