What is the Windshield Wiper Arm all about?
The windshield wiper system is designed to keep the windshield clear in rain, snow, or when dirt and debris obstruct your view. When the windshield wiper switch is turned on, power goes to the windshield wiper motor and transmission. Linkage attaches the windshield wiper transmission to the wiper arms. The windshield wiper transmission causes the windshield wiper arms to move in a side-to-side motion against the windshield or back window to keep it clear and clean. When the windshield wipers aren’t touching the window, the wipers chatter continuously against the window when they are turned on, or the windshield wiper moves but the one or both of the wiper arms stay put, it may be time to replace your windshield wiper arms.
Keep in mind:
- Install new wiper blades any time a windshield wiper arm is replaced.
- Replace both windshield wiper arms at the same time.
How it’s done:
- The hood is opened and supported as needed. The wipers are put into the park position (the position where the wipers rest when not in use) before removal of the wiper arm. The position is noted by a small grease marker mark on the windshield.
- The old wiper arm is removed from the vehicle.
- The new wiper arm is installed and aligned with the mark on the window. Any marks are removed from the window using glass cleaner.
- The hood is closed as required and the wipers are tested for proper operation.
- The windshield wipers are tested for proper operation with a hose running water on the window.
The windshield wiper arms are responsible for keeping your windshield clear and maintaining your road visibility. If you can’t see the road properly because your wipers aren’t working well, schedule an inspection.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Windshield Wiper Arm?
- Wiper blades streak
- Wipers chatter when going back and forth
- One or both wiper blades don’t move when turned on
- Wiper blade doesn’t touch the window when swiping
How important is this service?
Being able to clearly see your way down the road is one of the most important factors in driving. If your wipers aren’t working properly, get the system checked right away.