What is the Windshield Wiper Refill all about?
The wiper arm is mounted below the windshield and is attached to the wiper linkage, which moves the arms back and forth. The wiper blade itself attaches to the arm, and holds a wiper insert, or wiper refill. The wiper refill is what actually makes contact with the windshield and removes water and snow, allowing you to have a clear view of the road ahead.
Over time, your wiper inserts will begin to wear. The rubber weathers, with cracks and tearing, causing poor contact with the windshield glass and poor clearing.
Keep in mind:
- Due to normal wear and tear, windshield wiper refills will begin to shrink, crack and dry, making them unable to efficiently clear water from the windshield glass.
- Wiper blades in poor condition can create a safety issue as your view of the road is obstructed.
How it’s done:
- The wiper arms are lifted away from the windshield
- The wiper blade holder is unclipped from the wiper arm
- The defective wiper is removed from the wiper blade holder the new one installed
- The wiper blade holder is reinstalled onto the wiper arms
- The wiper arms are lowered down to the windshield and tested to work properly
Have your windshield wiper refills replaced whenever you notice poor windshield clearing and cleaning. Most experts recommend replacing your inserts every six months or so, with variations based on the temperatures and weather conditions. It is important that you obtain the right size blades for your car. Your driver’s side blade will have a different length from the passenger side in most instances, and each vehicle requires a specific size combination.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Windshield Wiper Refill?
- The wiper blades leave streaks on the windshield
- Precipitation is not completely cleared from the windshield in a single pass
- Torn rubber is trailing from the wiper blade
How important is this service?
Windshield wiper refill replacement is important to ensure safety while driving in inclement weather. Have one of our expert mechanics replace your inserts, which will ensure the right size refills, and inspect for any potential problems with the wiper system.