Car AC High-Pressure Hose Replacement Service
What is the AC High-Pressure Hose all about?
Your car’s air conditioning system works similarly to your home’s central air conditioning system. It uses a refrigerant to absorb heat and expel cold air – the refrigerant is both a gas and a liquid depending on the amount of pressure. The AC system has two “sides” – the low-pressure side, where the refrigerant is a gas, and the high-pressure side, where the refrigerant is turned into a liquid. An AC high-pressure hose has a much smaller diameter than a low-pressure hose (you’ll notice the size difference immediately if you open the hood and look at the air conditioning system). If the AC high-pressure hose is leaking or blocked, the air conditioning will not cool your car.
Keep in mind:
- Normal wear and tear, as well as exposure to heat in the engine compartment, can lead to deterioration in AC hoses.
- Handling air conditioning refrigerant requires a specialized license in most jurisdictions.
How it’s done:
- The AC refrigerant is removed from the AC system
- The defective high-pressure AC hose is removed from the vehicle
- The new AC high-pressure hose is installed into the vehicle
- The AC system is vacuumed to remove air and charged with refrigerant
- The vehicle is road tested for proper AC operation
Your air conditioning system is a sealed system and does not require maintenance unless there is a problem. The most common type of maintenance is an evacuation and recharge of the refrigerant in which old refrigerant and oil are extracted and then replaced with new. However, age, heat and other forces can combine to damage your hoses, including the AC high-pressure hose. If this happens, the hoses will need to be replaced. Damage can include cracks, refrigerant leaks, damaged connectors and more. If you suspect an air conditioning leak from the high-pressure hose, have one of our expert mechanics diagnose the system and replace the hose if required.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the AC High-Pressure Hose?
- AC doesn’t cool at all.
- AC only blows cool, but not cold, air.
How important is this service?
It’s tough to stay comfortable in a car during high summertime temperatures if you don’t have a working air conditioner. If you’re experiencing problems with your air conditioning system, have the system diagnosed to determine what needs to be replaced or serviced.