What is the Dome Light Bulb all about?
It’s about seeing in the dark without needing a flashlight. Like a flashlight, your dome light is as simple as a small light bulb and a plastic covering.
For those of us with busy lives and plenty of stuff, it’s also about not losing our keys if they fall underneath our seat in the evening hours. That light also keeps you from accidentally scratching your dashboard by trying to find that ignition switch in the dark.
Finally, a good bulb light in the evening can help you locate those valuable small items that sometimes manage to fall underneath the seats.
Keep in mind:
Repairing a dome light without the proper tools and know-how can quickly lead to a permanently scuffed headliner and painful burns on your fingers.
How it’s done:
- The dome light will be located (normally in the center of the passenger compartment roof)
- The cover will be removed with a small pick
- The bulb will be replaced carefully as not to damage the new bulb or the socket (normally a cam-lock mechanism is as well, but some newer cars have LED bulbs that must be replaced with the socket as an assembly.)
- The socket assembly or cover will be returned to is factory location
- The lights will be tested
If you test that dome light, and it won’t light up no matter what door you open, or what dome switch setting you try, let one of our mechanics diagnose and handle this repair.
You should have it inspected by a professional mechanic who can avoid the scratches, scuffs, and permanent cosmetic issues that come with using a variety of sharp objects near a thin headliner cloth. Electronic diagnostic equipment can also help locate the potential cause of a dome light issue.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Dome Light Bulb?
- If the light won’t turn on when opening doors, and the ‘on’ light switch near the dome light isn’t making the bulb bright, then it’s probably time to get the bulb replaced.
- A blown fuse or an electrical short can also cause a dome light to not work
How important is this service?
Do you like to see inside when it’s dark outside? That’s the reason why dome lights have become a common standard feature in nearly all cars and trucks. Ignoring this repair can lead to long-term cosmetic issues, wasted time, and frustrating pursuits of little objects in darkness. A dome light repair is best done when you wish to take care of the little problems in life before they become big ones.