What is the Headlight Switch all about?
The headlamp switch allows you to turn on the lights. If the switch does not work, you will not be able to turn on the lights. Not only is it unsafe to drive the car without proper lights, but it is also illegal.
Keep in mind:
- The switch may only be available at the dealer. YourMechanic will find the cost and availability from a local dealer.
- Your vehicle may have a combination switch, which combines the headlight switch and turn signal switch in one assembly.
How it’s done:
- Inspect the switch.
- Test the fuses.
- Remove and replace the switch if found faulty.
- Check operation of all vehicle lighting.
A mechanic should inspect all the lights in the car during every major service event. If the lights do not come on, the mechanic should inspect the fuse, wiring, and connectors. It is common for the lens to get dirty and not allow enough light to shine through. You should keep the headlamp lens clean and free of oxidation. Mechanics can use a special lens oxidation restorer kit to clean the headlights.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Headlight Switch?
- Headlamps do not turn on.
- Running lights do not turn on.
- Not able to select or deselect high beam operation.
How important is this service?
The headlight switch allows you to turn on and off your headlights. When you press the button or pull the lever (depending on your vehicle) to turn on your headlights, the headlight switch is responsible for triggering the lights. A broken headlight switch means that you won’t be able to turn on your headlights. Driving without headlights is a hazard to you, your passengers, and your surroundings, and it can also result in an expensive ticket.