Stabilizer Bar Links Replacement Service
What is the Stabilizer Bar Links all about?
You may have heard stabilizer bar links referred to as anti-roll bars or sway bar links. Their purpose is to provide a stabilizing amount of structural support to protect you when you make aggressive turns. On a hard turn, you will feel body ‘roll’ occur where the vehicle weight leans toward the outside of the turn. The stabilizer bar links keep your vehicle from rolling over or leaning too much in a turn. They also ensure proper traction on all four tires. When they work properly, these links will keep you and your car stable by redistributing the entire car’s weight. If a stabilizer link is loose, you will hear a noise from under your vehicle. If the link breaks, the noise will likely go away, but you will experience handling problems and excessive body roll.
Keep in mind:
- Stabilizer links are often referred to as sway bar links.
How it’s done:
- The vehicle front wheels are straightened and the vehicle is lifted and supported on jack stands
- The defective stabilizer bar links are removed
- The new stabilizer bar links are installed
- The vehicle is removed from jack stands
- The vehicle is started and checked for steering stabilizer bar links operation
Stabilizer links will likely have to be replaced more than once during your vehicle’s operating life. They should be inspected on comprehensive services as well as anytime a wheel alignment or suspension work is performed. If a stabilizer bar link is loose or broken, have it replaced by one of our expert mechanics.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the Stabilizer Bar Links?
- Metallic knock from under your vehicle when driving over bumps
- Excessive body roll when taking sharp corners or turning at high speeds
How important is this service?
The stabilizer bar links on your car prevent body roll, which in extreme circumstances can cause you to lose control of your vehicle. It is important that your sway bar links are intact, so have any broken links replaced right away.