What is the AC Control Switch all about?
Modern cars have much more advanced climate control technology than they had a few decades ago. It’s now commonplace for air conditioning to be included as standard equipment. That equipment has also become more efficient and is capable of providing greater comfort. Controlling the system is pretty simple – you press a button to turn on the air conditioner, and then adjust the cooling level and fan speed to your needs. The AC control switch is what allows you to turn the air conditioner on and off, essentially operating the entire system with a push of a button. When the button is pressed, the AC circuit is powered up from the relay so the interior can be cooled. However, like all electronic components, the AC control switch is susceptible to wear and tear.
Keep in mind:
- The AC control switch is located behind the trim panels on your car’s HVAC system and should not be accessed without the proper tools and knowledge.
- Without an operating switch, the AC will not work.
How it’s done:
- The AC control panel is removed from the center of the dash
- The defective AC control switch is removed from the control panel
- The new AC control switch is installed into the panel
- The AC control panel is reinstalled into the center of the dash
- The AC control switch is tested for proper AC operation
Without an operating AC control switch, you have no way of turning your air conditioning on. Normal wear and tear through regular use can eventually wear out the switch. Because replacing the switch involves accessing the actual AC control system behind the dash, have one of our expert mechanics perform the repair.
What common symptoms indicate you may need to replace the AC Control Switch?
- Intermittent operation of the AC system
- AC system won’t turn on at all
How important is this service?
Your car’s air conditioning system is important for your comfort. Without a working AC control switch, you can’t use your AC, so it’s important that the switch is replaced when it fails. Have one of our expert mechanics inspect and repair the AC system, including a faulty AC control switch, if it is faulty.